Who: WE ARE a group of creative, curious and excited middle school students led to explore solutions to big challenges! Led by Steve Compton, Director of the WSI (named a Stanford University FabLearn Fellow in 2014), taught by committed adults whose life work is middle and high school education, and peer-coached by high school and college young social entrepreneurs, we will dive deep, take action, change the world and have fun in a diverse, immersive and enriching summer program.
Why: We want to know how to put our ideas into action. We want to know how we can find support for our vision. We want to make a difference. We want to have a great time together working hard, building solutions, and having fun on Westtown School’s 600 acre campus.
What: The National Young innovators Conference – a place, experience, mindset and collaboration space for middle school Young Innovators to convene for an enriching week of invention!
NYIC & FAQ
2017 National Young Innovators Conference @ Westtown Science Institute
NYIC – Sunday June 25 – Saturday July 1
The National Young Innovators Conference inspires and prepares its attendees to be stewards and leaders of a better world.
- that each voice is valued and encouraged
- that we have a profound respect for diversity
- we have a dedication to peace and justice in community and in the world
- we maintain a special focus on service, stewardship and social responsibility
- Our values make us who we are
Age / Grade restrictions
The NYIC@WSI program is intended for rising 7th – 10th grade students (noted as grade entering in September 2017)
Our summer residential program is real-time extension of our academic school year program that develops students who are exceptionally well-prepared for road ahead. Westtown students are known for their academic preparedness, their established study skills, and their leadership abilities.
Residential life is designed to cultivate effective study skills, build healthy relationships and conflict resolution, foster acceptance and independence, and prepare students for living in a diverse and inter-connected world. It makes boarding a truly transformational experience.
We have over 200 years of experience providing an exemplary residential experience for students, and we know that there is no better way to learn and grow. Here’s why:
- Outstanding and authentic learning opportunities for life beyond school
- Living in a diverse community with students from around the block and around the world, and with students of many ethnic, religious and socio-economic backgrounds; learning to value difference
- Learning independence, decision-making skills and self-sufficiency in a safe, supervised environment – we call it “supervised independence”; 100% of surveyed alumni say that they were better prepared for dorm life than their peers
- Supportive, attentive adults 24/7
- A robust selection of activities
- 9 out of 10 of our alumni complete college in 4 years at one school (in comparison to the national average of 56 percent in 6 years) – and they tell us their residential experience was a key element
Staffing, Supervision and Safety Information
Safety and well-being is our highest priority.
The Conference is staffed by Westtown School faculty and staff (many who live on campus year round).
- All persons that come in contact with children have current up-to-date background checks and state and federal mandated clearances (this includes, but is not limited to faculty, staff, support staff, housekeeping, grounds and facilities, kitchen staff and special program personnel)
- All instructors and support personnel are first-aid and CPR trained.
- All personnel participate in on-going emergency protocol rehearsals.
- A ratio of 8 overnight campers to 1 adult is maintained ( ACA standards compliant)
- Staff live on dorm
- Dorms are gender separated and rooms are single-sex
- Around the clock adult supervision
- Westtown School is a tobacco and alcohol free campus
- Westtown School provides 24/7 security patrol officers (2 of which are also EMTs).
- The campus is equipped with an automated severe weather alert system and horn
The Westtown Dining Room
Every day at lunch and dinner we offer a full and freshly-made salad bar, a variety of hot items, jasmine rice, fresh Westtown-made bread, fresh fruit, milk and juice. Local and organic food purchases from the Common Market in Philadelphia and other area farms make up 20% of the food budget, and we serve everything that students grow at the organic farm right on campus. As a boarding school we are well versed in accommodating a wide array of food restrictions, allergies and limitations. During the registration process you will be prompted to share important food related information.
Westtown's 600 acres
A lot of cool and interesting things happen when you have a campus this large, green and beautiful. We research, explore, play, compete, canoe, farm and more on this land. The campus is a vast learning laboratory for the earth sciences, rife with many species of plant and animal life. It’s also a safe haven for relaxation and fun. In short, we take full advantage of this glorious space. What awaits you on this campus?
- A 14 acre lake
- Frog pond
- 14 playing fields
- Stadium tennis courts
- Organic farm
- 21 element ropes course, including a Flying Squirrel zip line
- Tuition includes Westtown School on dorm housing, meals and snacks, instruction, activities, materials, field trips, supervision by Westtown School faculty and staff and transportation provided by our own fleet of buses and vans during the program.
- Transportation to and from the Philadelphia airport may be arranged for an additional fee.
Day Student Tuition
- Tuition includes meals and snacks, instruction, activities, materials, field trips, supervision by Westtown School faculty and staff and transportation provided by our own fleet of buses and vans during the program.